Parents and friends have an important role to play with supporting someone transitioning from study to work. Research show that you are a trusted source of advice, feedback and inspiration for young people entering the workforce.
There are many ways you can support a young job seeker. You can:
- help your child or friend by being a source of practical information, encouragement and constructive suggestions,
- listen and be a sounding board for their thoughts and can help ease the burden of the decision, and
- refer young people to Job Jumpstart for more information and support. They can explore the website themselves or you can use the it to guide you in your role as a coach, mentor or supportive peer.
The information on Job Jumpstart has been gathered from a wide variety of trustworthy and reliable sources, by the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment. The articles on the website aim to provide insights and tips on a wide range of topics. They also link to tools and resources that can help young people take action to meet their goals.
Resources to help you:
- For tips on supporting a young job seeker, read our article How to support a young job seeker: Tips for parents.
- For advice on supporting a young worker, check out our article Supporting a young person in their first job.
- Find out more about Job Jumpstart by reading our story or get some insights into how Job Jumpstart can help your child or friend by watching our videos:
- Our four job search videos cover topics like goal setting and writing a cover letter.
- Our three part series 'How to be competitive for jobs' provides insights on what employers look for in candidates.
- We also have videos that profile three young people finding their own way on their employment journey. While the stories feature actors, they are based on the real life experiences of young people.
Do you know a young person who is thinking about what to do after school?
Check out our article 'Five myths about higher education' to help them make the right decision for them.