VET studies for post-Year 12 students

Illustrative representation of VET studies for post-Year 12 students

If you think a vocational education and training (VET) pathway might be your best option post-Year 12 and know what qualification or course you need to study to get the job that you want, you are well on your way.

The next step is to consider how to choose a training provider.

How will I study?

VET offers quite a few options: full-time, part-time, online, as well as apprenticeships and traineeships - so consider what option best meets your needs. Think about:

  • if you'll be balancing work and study, will you have time to attend training/classes
  • how you will get to the training and what equipment (e.g. tools, access to computers)
  • does the training provider have strong links with employers/industry.

It’s important to note that in some industries or with some employers, apprenticeships and traineeships will be your best pathway.

Where will I study?

Not all training providers are created equal. When comparing training providers, think about:

  • location - will you need to move, what will moving cost?
  • facilities - do they offer study and other support services to students?
  • course structure (e.g. number of units of competency/training package structure, whether there is a work placement)
  • cost and entry requirements.

Choose a training provider that offers the course and subjects preferred by employers and best meets your needs. This ensures that when you finish your course you are competitive for jobs.

Are there any entry requirements?

Entry requirements are usually set by the training provider, so once you have shortlisted a few training providers you would like to study with, check what their entry requirements are for the qualification or course you are planning to do. 

Be sure to ask about both compulsory and recommended entry requirements, including the level of literacy and numeracy required. You might be able to do a bridging course or lower level qualification first or combine your training with some foundation skills training. 

How will I pay for my study?

Many VET qualifications are subsidised by state and territory governments (and you may be eligible for a concession fee).

You may be able to access a VET Student Loan for diploma and above courses if you are studying at an approved VET Student Loans provider and meet the eligibility requirements. 

If you are doing an apprenticeship or traineeship, your employer may pay for your training.

These tools can help you:

…Or you can browse Job Jumpstart for other ideas and suggestions of what to do next.