University studies for post-Year 12 students

Illustrative representation of University studies for post-Year 12 students

If you think a university pathway might be your best option post-Year 12 and you know what course you need to study to get the job you want, you are well on your way.

The next step is to consider:

How will I study?

University offers quite a few options: full-time, part-time or online so consider what option best meets your needs. Think about:

  • whether you have access to transport and the time to attend lectures/tutorials
  • what IT equipment you need including what speed and type of internet connection is required.

Where will I study?

Investigate which universities have better employment outcomes for your course. When comparing universities you should consider:

  • location - including whether you will need to move and the costs involved with moving
  • facilities - investigate what support services they offer students, including career and employment help, access to computers etc
  • course structure (e.g number of units, electives, availability)
  • whether they offer work placements
  • cost and entry requirements.

In some industries, employers prefer university courses that include a vocational or industry placement as this allows students to apply their knowledge in a workplace setting.

Are there any entry requirements?

For university, you will usually need an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or an ATAR-equivalent. The ATAR or ATAR-equivalent required for a particular qualification is university specific and set by the university. Some university courses may have other entry requirements in addition to the ATAR. These could be compulsory entry requirements, such as an entry exam or interview or recommended entry requirements, such as any two units of English.

How will I pay for my study?

If you are eligible, you may be able to access a HECS‑HELP loan or a subsidised higher education place or a FEE-HELP loan for a non-subsidised place.

These tools can help you:

…Or you can browse Job Jumpstart for other ideas and suggestions of what to do next.