Your first job gives you many skills that you will use and build on throughout your working life. These are the skills all employers value and look for when recruiting.
This includes skills like:
- communicating in the workplace and with customers
- working in a team environment
- meeting deadlines and
- working under pressure.
So how do I gain skills in my first job?
While it may seem like you are just working as a checkout operator or making coffees, you are actually learning valuable employability (also called 'workplace' skills).
Consider these tasks:
- greeting customers and assisting them with their queries. This means you are building your communication skills and using your initiative.
- dealing with multiple customers and meeting their needs. This shows you can work under pressure and deliver outcomes.
- giving correct change to a customer. This means you are doing your tasks with accuracy and attention to detail.
- using a register and/or Eftpos machine. This shows you are adaptable and can quickly pick up new technical skills.
Need more reasons to get your first job?
Your first job also helps you:
- meet new people
- to move towards independence
- get on-the-job work experience
- gain professional contacts who you can ask to provide references and advice for future jobs or study
- start building your career.