Employers use different ways to recruit staff, so you may need to try a range of job search strategies in order to find a job.
Not all jobs are advertised. The best place to look for jobs will depend on the type of role you are after.
Doing research to understand how employers in your chosen field usually recruit, will help you know where to look for job vacancies.
Some common ways employers recruit include:
- Internet advertising: This includes posting ads on jobs boards such as Seek, Career One, Gumtree, Australian JobSearch, and on the employer's own website. This is now the most commonly used recruitment method. About half of all employers advertise vacancies online.
- Newspaper: This is still a common way to recruit, however this method is becoming less popular with employers.
- Recruitment agencies: Focus your search by finding an agency that specialises in recruitment for the type of job or industry you are looking for. For example, some agencies only recruit for part-time positions, jobs in healthcare, etc.
- Social media: Includes Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. But be aware: jobs advertised on social media can attract a lot of applicants.
- Direct approaches from job seekers: Even when an employer doesn't have a current vacancy, you can ask that they keep your résumé on file for the next time they are recruiting.
- Word-of-mouth: Connect with people you know including friends, family, teachers and others in your community to ask about possible job opportunities or advice on where to look. Also be aware of local networking events or work experience opportunities as these could lead to a job down the line.
These tools provide tips to help you:
…Or you can browse Job Jumpstart for other ideas and suggestions of what to do next.