How to be competitive for jobs (Part 1): Getting to know yourself
Knowing a bit about yourself will help you in your job search.
Understanding your work preferences
- What types of activities do you enjoy?
- What environments do you work best in?
Knowing what you want out of work
- Is it a good salary?
- Do you want to make a difference?
- Do you need flexibility to fit it in with other commitments, like study?
Understand what’s out there
- The world of work is changing and there are heaps of jobs now that didn’t even exist ten years ago.
- Some people might suggest that you look into traditional occupations like a plumber or dentist, but you might decide you are more suited to a role as a social media manager or a drone operator.
Don’t forget - you are likely to have a heap of different jobs throughout your life. So by knowing a bit about yourself and what you want to get out of work and understanding what skills you have to offer, you’ll find more opportunities in the fields you are interested in.
For more information, check out our articles - Know your work preferences and Is this field of work right for me?