The Australian Government surveyed more than 3000 Australian employers to find out what advice they would give to young people looking for a job.
Employers said they look for:
- a positive attitude
- motivation and enthusiasm
- someone who is prepared to learn and take direction.
They also said that applicants need to:
- be punctual and dependable
- be respectful to colleagues and customers
- show a commitment to staying in the job for an acceptable period of time.
Employers also mentioned that some young people have unrealistic expectations of work, including:
- being unprepared for the demands of the workplace
- the level of pay they would receive
- wanting to start at the top instead of working their way up.
For more information on what employers look for in young workers, see the fact sheet 'Looking for a Job - Employer Advice for Young People' on the Labour Market Information Portal.