Are you interested in a specific career? Want to find out whether it’s the right job for you? Follow these five steps to increase your chances of making your dream job a reality.
Step 1. Do your research.
Go to joboutlook.gov.au. This website provides information on hundreds of specific occupations. For each role it gives you:
- a summary of the main tasks done in this job
- the future job prospects for this job
- an indication of how much workers are paid
- information on the average educational level of workers
- the type of personality traits that are most relevant to this job.
To find occupations on the site, use the alphabetical search or type the job title into the search function. Note: check your spelling – the search function will only return searches for full job titles.
Step 2. Watch day-in-the-life videos for an idea of what it’s really like to work in a particular job.
- Type ‘day in the life video’ followed by your job of choice into your internet search engine. You can also visit the Australian Apprenticeships pathways website for a list of occupational videos.
Step 3. Match your skills and aptitudes to those required for the job.
- Find out whether you have the skills and attributes to work in this role.
- View our article 'What are employability skills?'. Consider talking to career advisers, teachers or try your hand at some practice aptitude tests at the Australian Apprenticeships Pathways website.
Step 4. Link with employers.
- To test whether a job is right for you and to gain real-world experience consider doing work experience or volunteering. This will also make you more competitive when you start applying for jobs.
- Check out our articles on organising work experience or a volunteering placement.
Step 5. Connect with training.
- Depending on the type of job, you may need specific qualifications to work in this field. Visit the Study Assist website's Be a savvy student - what you need to know for information on relevant training.
These tools can help you:
…Or you can browse Job Jumpstart for other ideas and suggestions of what to do next.